I have worked on my meatloaf strategy for many years, and this one is winner by far!
Relatively simple ingredients, 1 1/2 lb ground beef (this was 73/27. I normally buy 80/20 but this was on sale for about half the price. Either should work). 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon dried onions (you could do fresh as well, chopped finely) 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 tablespoon beef bullion granules. If you do not have these I would add about 2 teaspoons salt.
Mix well in a bowl.
Mix 1/2 cup ketchup and 1/2 cup brown sugar. I’m normally not such a fan of ketchup but this is quite good.
Place the mix on the bottom of the pan.
And the meat on top of it.
Bake at 350 for about 1 hour (internal temperature should read 160 degrees)
Due to using such high-fat ground beef, there was a layer of oil in the loaf pan above the sauce. I was able to easily drain that off, leaving the most perfect thick sweet sauce.
And serve with mashed potatoes.
I promise, this one’s a keeper! Best reviews I’ve had on meatloaf from the fam, like, ever. Maddie had 2 large pieces (and she’s very picky!)
Brown Sugar Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onions
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon beef bullion granules
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Mix ketchup and brown sugar and place in bottom of 9.5 inch loaf pan. Mix remainder of ingredients, shape into loaf and place on top of sauce. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour, until thermometer reads 160 degrees internal temperature. Drain off excess fat and turn loaf onto dish with sauce on top.
|This post contains affiliate links. If you click the links and make a purchase, I do get a small commission from the sale of the product. It does not impact the purchase price to you. I do not recommend products I have not used, ever. Thank you for your support!|