A hearty casserole with an amazing blend of flavors. And bacon?!!
The chicken was marinated in 1/2 C beer, 1 tablespoon onion powder, and 1/4 cup buttermilk powder overnight. You could also just brine the chicken for an hour prior to making but the buttermilk/beer mix does a great job of tenderizing.
1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon MSG (can be omitted, you may want to salt) and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Arrange your chicken in an oiled casserole and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until temperature reads about 150.
Fry up 2 slices of bacon. I used thick-cut but you may want to use more if you’re using normal sliced bacon.
Saute 2 cups of sliced mushrooms until liquid has reduced. These were previously frozen (I buy large amounts and slice and freeze. They freeze beautifully)
Meanwhile, start your roux. 2 tablespoons butter melted, then add 1/8 cup flour and cook until bubbly.
Add 1 1/4 cup milk and spices, and cook until thickened. This should not take long.
Add 8 oz shredded Swiss cheese and cook until melted.
Add bacon and mushrooms.
And put sauce over chicken.
Cook until chicken reads 165 internal temperature. I also popped this under the broiler for abut a minute to get some nice brown on the top.
And serve. I served with broccoli and a wild rice medley.
Chicken, Swiss, Mushroom, Bacon Bake
- 3 large chicken breasts butterflied. This will be 6 thinner filets
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon MSG
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup flour
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 slices bacon thick cut, you may want to up this for thinner bacon
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese shredded
- Bake chicken breasts in preheated oven at 350 for about 35 minutes or internal temperature of 150 degrees F. Saute mushrooms until liquid is reduced. Cook bacon until crispy. Melt butter and add in flour, cooking until bubbly. Add milk and cook until thickened. Add shredded cheese and spices. Add mushrooms and bacon to sauce, and pour over chicken. Return to oven and cook until sauce is bubbly and chicken reads internal temperature of 165.