I have seen about 11 million different versions of this. After some experimentation, this is what I settled on.
I prefer mine with dried beef. I never said this one was healthy!
1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon onion powder, and 1/4 tablespoon cayenne. I used 1 tablespoon of dried jalapenos, but would have preferred fresh (it was one of those oh poo moments. but this did in a pinch).
Combine 16 oz sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 2 green onions diced, your spices and 8 ounces cream cheese.
Add 4 oz can of chilis.
And 2, 2.5 oz jars diced dried beef. To cut the salt just a bit, I did rinse one of the jars of beef, and left the other jar salty. If you prefer less salt you may want to rinse both. Add 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
And microwave these until it is all melted and comes together. I did 45 second intervals, and it took about 5 minutes total. You want this to be plenty warm before it goes into the oven, or it will take FOREVER to cook. Ask me how I know…
Take one beautiful round loaf of bread.
And hollow that puppy out.
Fill the cavity with the melted goodness, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake until warmed through in a 350 degree oven. This will take approximately 45 minutes (but will depend on how warm your cheesy goodness was when you filled the loaf).
Garnish with more chopped green onions and serve with bread cubes or crackers.
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 chopped green onions
- 4 ounce can chilis
- 2 2.5 oz cans dried beef chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried jalapeno, or 1/2 fresh jalapeno chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large round loaf of bread
- 1 loaf bread for dipping
- Rinse dried beef if desired (I rinsed half). Combine the rest of the ingredients (with the exception of the bread) and microwave until warmed through and cheeses are well melted. Hollow out round loaf of bread. Add cheese mix to bread bowl, and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until heated through, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
|This post contains affiliate links. If you click the links and make a purchase, I do get a small commission from the sale of the product. It does not impact the purchase price to you. I do not recommend products I have not used, ever. Thank you for your support!|