Tomato soup is something my mom used to make me whenever I was sick (with a grilled cheese sandwich, of course!) but over the years Campbell’s, which I used to love, has either gotten sweeter, or my perception has changed, because it is now way too sweet for me.
So I decided to mix it up and try to make it on my own, and I’m very happy with the results! It was very simple too.
Saute one medium chopped onion.
Add two 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 2 crushed cloves of garlic, 1-2 tablespoons chicken base, and 4 stock cubes. You could use 1/4 cup water instead (and up the chicken base or add bullion) but the large amount of gelatin in the stock cubes adds a very velvety texture.
Cook on low pressure for 10 minutes and natural release for 5 minutes.
At this point I pureed it with an immersion blender (you could also use a traditional blender or food processor) because I wanted it very smooth. You could also leave it lumpy if you prefer it that way.
Add 1/4 cup heavy cream, and adjust seasoning to your preference.
IT WAS SO GOOD! Aaron said he’d have preferred it sweeter, but I thought the tomatoes were sweet enough. Of course, all tomatoes are different as far as their acid levels, so adjust with sugar to your preference if you tomatoes are very acidic.
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons chicken base
- 4 stock cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp sugar to your preference
- Saute onion in olive oil in instant pot. Add remaining ingredients (save whipping cream) and pressure cook low for 10 minutes. Natural release 5 minutes. Puree if you prefer smooth soup, and add whipping cream. Adjust sweetness depending on how acidic your tomatoes are, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.