Ahhh Chicken Parmesan. Which in our house of course is referred to “Chicky Chicky Parm Parm” due to Maddie’s current infatuation with Parks and Rec. The air fryer does an amazing job with this breading, making a crispy coating. It’s healthier and easier to make.
The breading is a 3 layer process for this.
Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
I use 2 types of Parmesan for this, the kind in a green can (for the breading) and the real kind. I use Sartori which I buy by the wheel and grate in the food processor. It’s amazing cheese and buying in bulk is very economical. The Maggi Beef Base is used in the sauce to give it a fullness and kick up the umami. I use it in place of salt.
The chicken is marinated in 1/3 cup beer, 4 tablespoons buttermilk powder, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and 2 teaspoons salt.
The first layer of breading is straight flour.
I add the seasonings to the egg layer, because I feel it gets better distributed that way.
Bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, the kind in the green can.
Dip chicken that has been marinated and is still wet in flour, the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb/Parmesan mixture. When air frying or deep frying, I allow the breading to dry a bit (this was for about a half an hour). This really helps the breading stick to the chicken.
After they dry for a period of time, I air fry them in my Breville Air Fry Smart Oven. I previously had an air fryer, which I love, but I ditched it for this multi-tasker. I love that it proofs bread (I use it all the time for that), air fries, bakes, and broils. It will also work as a dehydrator but I have not used it for that. This thing is a beast! (and so much bigger than my previous air fryer! Air fry at 400 for about 10 minutes, or until the outside is browned and crispy to your liking.
In the meantime, make your sauce. I picked up this handy garlic slicer and I really like it. it’s great for a large amount of garlic in a small period of time. I do have a pretty good garlic press, but my hands get sore and tired when I’m using it due to how much I mince at one time. Aaron just chops it with a knife but I’m far too lazy for that.
Sliced garlic! When I do this I always think of the scene in Goodfellas where they are in prison and Paulie is slicing the garlic with a razor blade. These are a little thicker but work very well.
Sauce ingredients. Crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, fresh garlic, and ground fennel.
This is after air frying. A nice crunchy brown coating!
Add your sauce and bake at 300 for about 10 minutes to warm through.
Meanwhile make some pasta. I used angel hair pasta and tossed with some garlic, a dash of salt, and a bit of olive oil.
After warming the sauce through. I have used mushrooms in the sauce which is also delicious, but did not this time.
Add your real Parmesan cheese.
I love to use fresh mozzerella on this.
Bake for about 10 more minutes until cheese is melty.
And then a minute or so on low broil if you want the cheese nice and bubbly.
This was quite good, both kids approved and so did my husband. And my son Mason hates red sauce, so I’m calling that a win!
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Air Fryer
- 2 large chicken breasts split horizontally
- 1/3 cup beer
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 teaspoons salt
For the coating
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- ¾ cup Parmesan the kind in a green can
For the Sauce
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic sliced or minced
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese grated the real stuff
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella or enough to cover your chicken and sauce
- Add chicken, buttermilk powder and seasoning to bag and marinate chicken overnight.
To cook chicken
- Mix eggs with seasonings and mix bread crumbs with Parmesan (from a can). Remove chicken from bag, and dip in flour, then egg mixture, then bread crumbs. Allow to dry on a rack until chicken looks a bit dry and the coating looks pasty. Cook in air fryer at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes until browned. You can also bake at 450 for about 10-12 minutes until browned, but the bottom will not be as crispy.
- Combine tomatoes, spices, beef base, and fresh garlic and mix.
- Remove chicken from air fryer. Add sauce to top, and cook in 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes until sauce is warmed. Add Parmesan (the real stuff) and fresh mozzarella and cook at 300 for another 10 minutes. If you like the top browned, broil for about a minute until cheese is browned.
- Serve with pasta.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click the links and make a purchase, I do get a small commission from the sale of the product. It does not impact the purchase price to you. I do not recommend products I have not used, ever. Thank you f or your support!