- Ground beef
- Dried kidney beans
- Minor’s Ham Base (this is optional BUT adds a TON of flavor to the beans)
- Minor’s Beef Base: turns this into an umami bomb!!
- Dried Jalapeno Peppers (can use fresh but these are so good to keep in the pantry)
- Dried Bell Peppers (can use fresh but see above!)
- Crushed tomatoes (I use Sclafani)
- Tomato paste
- Brown sugar: I highly recommend tasting before adding the brown sugar. Some tomatoes need a little to cut the acidity, but some do not.
- And of course spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic and onion powder (more umami!), and cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it!)
Add beans, water and ham base to the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure 35 minutes, then natural release 20 minutes. Check beans for doneness (beans can be quite variable!). Since they’re going to cook a little longer with the chili, it’s ok for them to be a little “al dente”.
Add remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot (except the brown sugar and tomato paste!)
Cook on high pressure 15 minutes, and quick release.
Break up the ground beef to the size pieces you want them, I left them a little chunky style, because I like it that way. I like to use the Pampered Chef Mix N Chop for this (it works so much better than a potato masher!)
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Beefy Beer Chili with Beans
- Instant Pot
For the beans
- ½ lb dried kidney beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Minor’s Ham Base
For the Chili
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 12 ounces Miller High Life
- 4.5 ounce can or carton tomato paste
- 1 large or 2 small onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried bell peppers
- 2 tablespoon dried Jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Minor’s Beef Base to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the beans
- Pressure cook all ingredients in the Instant Pot on high for 35 minutes, then natural release for 15 minutes. Check beans for doneness. They’ll also cook with the chili, so you may choose to leave a bit al dente.
For the chili
- Add all chili ingredients except tomato paste and brown sugar to the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes and quick release. Break up cooked ground beef until it is your preferred size. Add brown sugar and tomato paste and stir. Keep on high slow cook until ready to serve.