We used to make something similar at a restaurant I worked at in college, and I remember thinking it was so gross (I’m not sure the dressing was quite the same as this though, because I feel like I would have loved it). It’s quite simple to make, and actually my daughter who only marginally likes spinach, loves it, and my son, who hates any kind of salad at all, even kind of admits it’s really not *too* bad (when I make him).
Start with bacon. This is 6 slices of thick-sliced bacon that has been cut up into pieces. I find it easier to cook that way.
Cook until crispy
Drain bacon on paper toweling. Some recipes have you cook the rest with the bacon in it, but the bacon gets soggy. No bueno, as my son says.
Add 2/3 of a cup white sugar and 1 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Cook until vinegar has reduced by about half on medium heat. You know it’s done when the bubbles get kind of thick and look like above.
Toss with spinach and bacon. It’s great with some hard-boiled egg as well. I love this because even though the spinach is essentially raw, the dressing does a great job of removing that chalky feeling you get in your mouth when eating raw spinach.
If you like this recipe you will also like:
- Doe’s House Salad
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Smoked Paprika Salad Dressing
- Goat Cheese and Beet Salad With Candied Pecans
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing
Spinach salad with hot bacon dressing
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Fry bacon and remove to drain. Add apple cider vinegar and sugar. Cook on medium until reduced (about 20 minutes). Toss with spinach and hard boiled egg.
Leave a Reply