I compiled several recipes with what I thought would be a good combination, and after a trip to the Viet Hoa (if you’re in Milwaukee, go there!! It’s amazing!) I put these together on a work night, pretty quickly. Dinner for 4 plus 2 huge leftover lunches.
For the meatballs: 2 lbs of ground beef, 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs, 2 eggs, 1 cup green onions chopped, 1 tablespoon crushed garlic, 2 tablespoon good quality soy sauce, 2 tablespoons finely shredded ginger, 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
Mix that all together
I bought this Meatball Xpress to try out because I make a TON of meatballs over the holidays and I was trying to see if it would make a more consistent or at least faster meatball.
One thing I noticed,
You do need to fill or slightly overfill to get a nice round meatball.
This one probably wasn’t full enough in each of the slots.
So the tops were a little low.
However, they were pretty consistent when I filled or slightly overfilled.
This was just an experiment so I wasn’t too picky with them. When I was careful, they were nice and round and I think it was a bit faster and definitely more consistent than rolling them by hand.
Bake the meatballs in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until cooked through.
For the sauce…
Mix 1 1/2 cup water with 1 tablespoon corn starch, add it to 3/4 cup good quality soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce, 6 tablespoons Hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, and 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger.
Heat until sauce is thickened. If it doesn’t thicken up enough for your liking, add more corn starch mixed in a small amount of water (or it will lump up like a mother!)
I did overcook these just slightly. 20 minutes should suffice but I was multi-tasking (and you know how that goes). They were still nicely tender though.
Toss the meatballs in the sauce. I served over broccoli and rice noodles (there is extra sauce. If you did not want extra sauce cutting the sauce in half should suffice for just the meatballs).
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoon good quality soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3/4 cup good quality soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- Mix meatball ingredients and form into meatballs. Cook in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water, then other ingredients and cook until thickened. If the sauce is not thick to your liking, add cornstarch by the teaspoon mixed with 1 tablespoon water until thick enough.