I don’t say this very often, but I can definitively say these are the best waffles I have ever, ever made or eaten. BY FAR. I believe it might have been the only time in my life I was able to eat a whole waffle (and I was full as a tick afterwards, but I couldn’t stop eating). Aaron couldn’t remember having better either.
Start with an overnight marriage of 1 cup sourdough starter, 1 cup water, and 1 cup flour (at room temperature). Above is what it looks like in the morning. Nice and foamy.
Mix and cook to perfection. I use the Cuisinart double waffle iron because it’s so ridiculously fast to make a full batch of waffles.
And serve. I just added butter, a tiny bit of maple syrup, and a little bit of whipped cream. So amazing.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Lard and Butter Biscuits
- Sourdough Pancakes
- Sourdough Waffles
- No-Fail Hollandaise Sauce
- Spicy Sausage Gravy
Sourdough Pearl Sugar and Bacon Waffles
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup Belgian pearl sugar
- Combine sourdough discard with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour and leave at room temperature overnight (covered with a towel). Add remaining ingredients and cook on waffle iron.