A lot of giardiniera recipes call for oil. I don’t use oil, I make it without oil so that the vinegar brine sinks into the vegetables faster. If i want oil later, I’ll add it to whatever I’m making with the giardiniera. Most of the time I just eat the veggies out of the brine, and so I like it a bit healthier with less calories due to the oil.
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C. canning salt Kosher and Himalayan work. It just needs to be non-iodized
- 1 T peppercorns
- 4-6 large cloves of garlic smashed with the side of a knife and the skins removed
- 1 medium-sized onion peeled and sliced.
- 1-5 teaspoons dried red pepper to taste
- 1 sliced Jalapeno pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, celery, jalapenos or whatever veggies you want.
- Bring all ingredients except the vegetables to a boil. Add chopped veggies to jar and add hot liquid. Be sure to add a clove of garlic into each jar. You can freeze the remaining brine and re-use it. Keep veggies at room temperature overnight, then refrigerate 3-5 days for best flavor.