These are great to make a batch of for an easy breakfast on the go. I’m told they’re a Starbucks breakfast option but I have to be honest and say I don’t hit up Starbucks too often, just not enough time in the mornings. So I grab a bag of these and heat them up in the microwave at work.
Like all good recipes, it starts with bacon. It doesn’t take a lot to get good flavor in these.
Drain the bacon.
I like my egg bites spicy (like nearly everything else!) so I add a couple of slices of jalapeno. Also a couple of the mini bell peppers adds good flavor (and veggies of course!)
And spinach, cheese, and cottage cheese, along with your spices. For these, I was going for a Southwest flavor, so I added 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper.
And blend it all up. I like to use my little NutriBullet blender for this.
Some people like to layer the veggies for this. I have found that I like the texture better when it’s all blended together. It’s nice and smooth.
Then the only other texture is the amazing chewy bacon. I highly recommend using oil spray on these to make sure they pop right out after cooking.
Add to your egg bite mold. I really like this one. I had another one but it didn’t have lids that you could use in the Instant pot, and it was a real pain to put foil on it every time. Add about a quarter cup of the egg mixture (fill 3/4 of the way). (affiliate link)
Put the lid on.
And if you have a nice set like this, stack them. I love the built in handle! So convenient.
Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot, and cook on low pressure for 10 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes after the timer goes off. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max and I LOVE IT. (affiliate link)
And here you have them. I chill for a couple of minutes to let them get a little less soft. It makes them easier to pop out of the mold.
Yes they look a little green but I assure you they are very tasty. Even my son likes to eat them for breakfast! I put 2 in a snack bag, and when I get to work, microwave for 30 seconds, and they’re perfect!
Instant Pot Egg Bites
- Pressure cooker/ Instant Pot
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (can be full fat or low fat)
- 3 slices jalapeno or to taste
- 1 cup spinach leaves can be fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp cooked bacon pieces
- Fry bacon, drain and set aside. In blender, combine rest of ingredients and blend until smooth. Fill egg bite molds 3/4 full. Cook in Instant Pot on low pressure for 10 minutes, then hold for 5 minutes and release. Chill egg bites in molds for several minutes to allow them to pop out. Store in refrigerator, and reheat in microwave for 30 seconds as necessary.