I love love love Chipotle’s beef Barbacoa and I was trying to make something like it. This came pretty close!
Basic ingredients: 3 to 4 pound roast, Maggi Beef Base, apple cider vinegar, ground oregano, lime juice, garlic, onion powder and cumin.
Spray the pan with Olive oil and sear on all sides in the Instant Pot. My current Instant Pot is the Instant Pot Max. I love having the max pressure and the automated venting. Using an Instant pot liner with Teflon really helps with the cleanup.
Add all other ingredients and Chipotle peppers on top. Cook on slow cook low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. It’s hard to overcook.
Then if you’re going for the Chipotle flair, you need some cilantro lime rice. 1 cup rice, juice from 1 lime, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
Boil water, add rice, reduce heat to medium low and cook until rice is finished (usually about 20 minutes). Add cilantro and lime juice.
After cooking the beef, shred it. It should come apart easily. Add to a toasted tortilla.
Add some pico de gallo. We make ours with chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeno, lime juice and a bit of salt.
And of course cheese.
Wrap it up and serve with sour cream, Cholula sauce, and guacamole sauce.
Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
- 1 3 pound beef chuck roast
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Beef Base
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Cilantro lime rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Spray Instant Pot with olive oil and sear on all sides. Add remainder of ingredients and slow cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours. Shred beef.
- For Rice
- Boil 3 cups water and add rice. Cover and set stove to low. Cook for 20 minutes until rice is done. Add juice of 1 lime and cilantro.