Deviled eggs are a favorite of mine, and I’ll eat them just about any way. This time I wanted one that was sweet and spicy, with a kick of jalapeno.
- Eggs: obviously.
- Spicy brown mustard: this is a homemade ingredient. If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend it. SO easy.
- Kewpie Mayo: Adds a zip of umami! This mayonnaise is FANTASTIC and I highly recommend you try it.
- Sweet pickle relish: adds the sweet component
- Onion Powder: more umami and flavor
- Jalapeno: your spice component. I left in the ribs and the seeds but you may remove them if you want less spicy.
First you have to hard-boil your eggs. I have found that hard-boiling in the Instant Pot is BY FAR the best way to do it. Why??? Well, you know that annoying thing that happens with fresh eggs where the white sticks to the shell when you go to peel them? That never, ever happens when they’re cooked in the Instant Pot. Why? I have NO idea, it’s some kind of amazing sorcery! Basically you cook the eggs for five minutes on high pressure (with a cup of water), slow release for 1 minute then quick release. Add ice water to cool rapidly, then peel. The shells basically just fall off.
Add all ingredients to food processor and process.
This was the first time I have used the mini-bowl in my Breville Sous Chef food processor, and I was SUPER impressed (and now wondering why I hadn’t used it sooner!) This food processor is by far the best I’ve owned (and it’s the third one, I killed the first two).
And pipe them into the shells using a 1M star tip (it’s PERFECT for this application).
Garnish with a little smoked paprika, and viola! These were so delicious!
Instant Pot Sweet and Spicy Deviled Eggs
- Instant Pot
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 3 tablespoons Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- Cook eggs in Instant Pot on high pressure (with 1 cup water in the bottom) for 5 minutes. Slow release for 1 minute, then quick release. Chill rapidly with ice water. Refrigerate until cold and peel.
- Add all other ingredients to bowl of food processor and process. Adjust seasoning. Pipe filling into eggs using a 1M star tip.