This is my sweet and savory version of a French Toast casserole. We had “Breakfast for dinner” so I wanted something with a bit of a kick, and some meat!!
With Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Bob Evans spicy sausage.
Combine eggs, water, buttermilk powder (you could just use buttermilk instead of the water and powder, but this is much cheaper and shelf-stable so I always have it around), brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla and mix in large bowl.
Add bread cubes. I let them soak for about 30 minutes but I’m not sure that was necessary, the pressure did a good job of soaking them. The bread I used was leftover Overnight Italian Bread. You could also leave this overnight and finish the next day as well, if you’re meal prepping.
Add cream cheese (cut into ~half inch cubes) and sausage (about teaspoon size pieces).
Mix and add to Corning ware casserole dish. This Corning Ware fits perfectly in the 6 quart Instant Pot.
And cook in the Instant Pot, on the rack, with 1 cup water below it, for 35 minutes on Max pressure (I have the Instant Pot Max and I love it, both for the max pressure setting and the automated release function), or high pressure for 40 minutes, then quick release. Check that the internal temperature is at least 165.
I then put it under the broiler to toast the top a bit. Not necessary but a nice touch.
Annnnnd it looks like a hot mess. But I promise you! It tasted delicious!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
French toast casserole
- Instant Pot
- 3 to 4 cups bread cubes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- ½ pound spicy sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add eggs, water, buttermilk powder, maple syrup, vanilla and brown sugar to large mixing bowl and whip. Add bread cubes and allow to soak about 30 minutes (or could be done a day ahead). Cube up cream cheese and mix cubes (about ½ inch pieces). Add sausage by the teaspoon full and mix. Place all ingredients in Corning ware casserole. Cover with foil. Add rack to Instant Pot, with 1 cup water in the bottom. Cook on Max pressure 35 minutes or high pressure 40 minutes, and quick release. Check internal temperature of the casserole, it should be at least 165 degrees. Broil for a minute or two to crisp the top.