So my kids love the blue box Kraft Dinner. I mean they also love my mac and cheese, but what I was going for here is a little more Kraft style, but a bit creamier. Also I found out that my son’s method for making the Kraft Dinner is just basically cook the noodles and drain, add the powder and A STICK OF BUTTER. This might be healthier (not sure…but that’s not what I was going for) but it feels more like dinner.
For this recipe, I used 2 stock cubes and top up to a full four cups of water. The stock cubes are optional but they do add a really nice silky texture to the noodles once cooked. I also used cheese powder, cream cheese and Velveeta. My favorite noodles for mac and cheese are probably Cellentani.
Add noodles, stock cubes and water to the Instant Pot. I currently use the Instant Pot Max and I love it because of the max pressure and the automated release mechanism. Using this non-stick insert makes cleaning up a breeze also. It’s nice to have a few of these around so you can meal prep ahead of time on the weekends. Using these lids to go with makes it even easier.
Cook in the Instant Pot on max pressure for 3 minutes, or high for 4, and quick release.
Add the milk, Velveeta, cream cheese, and cheese powder and mix. I cook on high slow cook for about half hour to 45 minutes (usually I’m cleaning up or preparing other dishes for dinner. Or just sitting on the couch after a long day!) If time is of the essence you can use the saute function while stirring to get it on the table faster.
I had some leftover ham in the freezer (from Easter dinner) and I gave it a quick toss in a pan to serve it with. Totally optional of course!
And served it with a slice of Pumpernickel Boule. This was a huge hit with the kids! I can also see adding some Franks Red Hot and making it buffalo style (Miss Maddie loves that, Mason likes it better plain!)
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Triple Mac and cheese
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound Cellentani noodles
- 2 stock cubes+ water to equal 4 cups liquid
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 8 ounces Velveeta
- 1 cup cheese powder
- 1 cup milk
- Diced ham or chicken optional
- Cook liquid (water plus stock cubes) with noodles for 3 minutes on max pressure or 4 minutes on high pressure. Quick release. Add cheeses and milk and cook on high slow cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until melted through. If in a hurry, cook on sauté function, stirring, until cheeses are melted. Add ham or chicken if desired.