If you’ve never had this, I would definitely recommend trying. Even my son (who really dislikes red sauce) actually loved it! I’d like to give credit to this recipe but I looked at about 100 of them and didn’t really like any of them. This one is combined from about 10 different recipes.
There are a lot of ingredients, but this recipe makes a full two pies (one to eat and one to freeze. They freeze beautifully).
Boil your pasta to al dente. I used Angel Hair for this because the smaller noodles compact better when you’re making the crust.
Add the sauce ingredients to the Instant Pot. I use an Instant Pot Max and I love it! I just throw the veggies in whole. Instead of salt I will use some dried Parmesan cheese (the stuff in the green can!) and Maggi Beef Base. That (along with the onion powder) bangs up the umami flavor. Cook on Max pressure for 20 minutes or high pressure for 24, and quick release.
Mix cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese (the real stuff) and spices for the cheese layer.
Brown your ground beef and drain.
Your veggies should look like this (sad and wilted. but still flavorful!)
Puree with an immersion blender. I use the Breville Immersion Blender, it’s super powerful.
Mix your cooked spaghetti, eggs, some more dried Green Can Parmesan (I’m using this because it’s more of a binder, and does add flavor) and a cup of the cooked sauce, and mix.
Place half the spaghetti mixture in the bottom of an 8 inch round Springform pan.
Add half the cheese mix.
Add the ground beef to the remaining sauce and mix, and add half to the pan.
Layer 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (the real stuff) and 7 slices fresh Mozzarella
And bake covered at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until heated all the way through (time is going to depend on the temperature of your incoming ingredients. Thermometer should read 165).
And broil under low broil for a minute or two until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
De-pan (un-pan?) and slice. You will not be disappointed. I was very happy with how well this held together.
Spaghetti Pie recipe
- Instant Pot
Spaghetti Pie recipe
- 1 medium onion peeled and halved
- 14 ounce can undrained canned petite diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce container crushed tomato
- 1 large carrot
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- ½ cup grated Parmesan in a can
- 4 cloves sliced or crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese in a can
- 16 ounces spaghetti cooked al dente
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan shredded the real stuff
The Rest Of It
- 14 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese the real stuff
- 1 ½ pound ground beef browned and drained
- Add sauce ingredients to Instant Pot. Cook on Max pressure for 20 minutes (high pressure for 24 minutes) and quick release. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
To assemble pie
- Mix spaghetti, eggs, 1 cup tomato sauce, and Parmesan. Press into two 8 inch springform pans.
- Mix cheese layer ingredients. Layer on top of crust.
- Mix browned ground beef with remainder of sauce.
- Spread on top of cheese layer.
- Layer on ½ cup Parmesan and 7 slices of fresh Mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover and broil under low broiler until cheese on top is browned.