I was so happy with how this sauce turned out! Sweet, tangy, bourbon-y. MMMM. The only sad thing is when I pulled the package of short ribs out of the refrigerator, I realized that there weren’t NEAR enough to make a dinner, and these were gone in about 5 minutes! Don’t make the same mistake I did, BUY A LOT OF THEM!
The sauce was made up of bourbon (cheap, I’m not going to lie, because there’s a HALF CUP in there), Tukas tomato paste (this stuff is really amazing, so rich. And I love not having to use a full can. It’s so wasteful), vinegar, brown sugar, smoked paprika, Better Than Bullion Ham Base, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red peppers, and black pepper.
Combine the sauce ingredients.
Add to the Instant Pot. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max, I absolutely love the Max pressure and the automated release function. So useful when you’re multi-tasking!
I cooked at max pressure for 8 minutes. You’d probably go on high for 10 minutes, and quick release.
After cooking. Add the short ribs to a pan.
Add the sauce.
And smoke at 225 for about an hour. We use the Masterbuilt smoker due to the absolute convenience of it. No more staying up all night to smoke something!!
Instant Pot and Smoked Bourbon Short Ribs
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 4 tablespoons Tukas tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Ham Base
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pounds short ribs
- Cut shortribs into 1 or 2 bone segments. Combine sauce ingredients and add to Intant Pot. Cook on max pressure for 8 minutes or high pressure for 10, and quick release. Add to smoker and smoke at 225 for about an hour. DEVOUR!!