This recipe is meant to feed a huge crowd. Perfect for large gatherings, these hold amazingly well, and are delicious!
For maximum umami, these are seasoned with Watkins Beef Base and Maggi Seasoning Sauce, rather than just plain old salt. I also use whole milk powder instead of milk (we have a problem keeping milk in the house, the boy drinks 3/4 of a gallon PER DAY. So the milk is reserved for him to drink). It’s cheaper and shelf-stable, as well. Onion powder also increases the umami.
Combine all meatball ingredients and be prepared to get a workout mixing them! I have, sadly, never found a better way to mix these other than by hand.
Here it is mixed up. I was tired…
If you want to check the seasoning before making all the meatballs and baking, just make yourself a mini meatball, and microwave for 45 seconds to a minute until cooked, and taste.
Form into meatballs. This makes A LOT!!
If you don’t need this many, use this amazing recipe converter. My Kitchen Calculator. However, these also freeze beautifully!
Bake at 350 until the internal temperature is 165 or more, about 15-20 minutes, but it’s going to depend on how big you made your meatballs!
And for the sour cream gravy…
Make yourself a basic roux.
Add your water with bone broth cubes. If you don’t have them you can also use low sodium chicken broth but the bone broths REALLY adds a velvety texture to any sauce or gravy.
Rather than salt, I chose to amp up the umami with Better Than Bullion beef base.
Heat over medium until thickened. This goes a lot faster if you heat your water/stock cubes in the microwave before adding.
Add sour cream and adjust the seasoning (I use the beef base to do that).
I was also not super happy with the color, so I used some Kitchen Bouquet to darken it juuuust a bit. Optional but this was for a catering gig so I wanted it to look awesome. The Kitchen Bouquet also adds a nice caramel flavor and aroma.
And serve with egg noodles. Be prepared for an Umami throat punch!!
If you like this recipe you will also like:
- Instant Pot and Smoked Pastrami
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Greek Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Southwest Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Gyro Meat
Swedish Meatballs for a crowd
- 8 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- ½ cup dried onion
- 4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons Maggi liquid seasoning
- 4 tablespoons powdered beef bullion
- 2 2/3 cup water
- ½ cup milk powder
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Sour Cream Gravy
- 1 stick butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 6 chicken bone broth cubes
- 3 tablespoons beef base
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
For the meatballs
- Combine meatball ingredients. Form into meaballs and bake in pre-heated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15-20 minutes until internal temp reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit (the length of time is going to depend on how big you made your meatballs.
For the sour cream gravy
- Melt butter in large pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook several minutes until bubbly. Microwave water and bone broths cubes until warm, then add to the butter mixture. Add remaining ingredients (except sour cream) and cook until thickened. Add sour cream and adjust seasoning.