I love Cincinnati chili on hot dogs, so much. But every once in a while, I’m craving a straight up old fashioned coney sauce for my dog. Also, I’m not sure everyone in Wisconsin appreciates the Cincinnati chili the way I do…I’ve gotten into near fistfights with chumps who don’t recognize it as chili…
So the first time I made this I made it for a party and it was quite a hit with the kids and parents. For the liquid base, I used Coors Banquet for added flavor. Also, instead of salt, I used Better Than Bullion Beef Base. This adds umami, as well as the sodium component.
Spices are cumin, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I’ve taken to using this Tukas tomato paste in a jar. It’s super rich and flavorful, and I like that you can scoop it by the tablespoon.
Here’s where the magic comes in. Add the beef and beer to the Instant Pot. That beef is dead frozen. Add your spices.
Cook on max pressure (if you have the Instant Pot Max) for 15 minutes or high pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release.
The beef is going to come out as a total lump, obviously. So I just bash it up with my Pampered Chef Mix and Chop. (seriously love this thing)
After bashing it up, the sauce will be a little runny. I then will do a quick mix with an immersion blender to emulsify some of the meat. That brings it to the right consistency.
I portion mine in about 3/4 cup portion sizes and freeze, then grab out of the freezer on a hot dog night!
Served with mustard, shredded cheese, diced onions and Franks Red Hot sauce. SO SO GOOD!!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Beer Coney Sauce
- Instant Pot
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 24 ounces beer
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bullion Roasted Beef Base
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper this is to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add beer, ground beef, spices and beef base to Instant Pot. Cook on Max pressure 15 minutes or high pressure 20 minutes and quick release.