I think one of the most amazing things the Instant Pot does well is cook potatoes. I mean it’s hard to say because the Instant Pot does so many things, so well, but what I love about cooking potatoes this way, is it’s super hands-off, and since potatoes are typically a side dish, I’m usually otherwise occupied finishing off the main dish.
Add your potatoes to the Instant Pot in a basket with 1 cup water underneath. I use this mesh basket because it was super cheap and all I had to do was take a pair of pliers and tilt up the handles. Easy-peasy.
For this application I used my Instant Pot Max. I love the max because of max pressure setting and the automated release (I LOVE THAT SO MUCH) which allows me to multi-task.
I cooked these for 10 minutes on max pressure, on high you’d go ~12 minutes. Of course the timing on this really depends on the size of your potatoes. Basically, poke them with a fork after the quick release and make sure they’re nice and soft.
Set the Instant Pot to saute and add butter. This is great non-stick pan for the Instant Pot, it’s great for things like this that can stick, and also for getting a fantastic sear on meat.
After the potatoes were done I cut them in half. I don’t really think you *need* to do this, but I wanted the skins to be smaller.
Add the potatoes to the butter with salt and dried chives.
Mix in your sour cream and heat through.
We served with Sous Vide Minted Leg of Lamb. So good!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Smashed Red Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 6 large red potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- Add potatoes to Instant Pot basket with 1 cup water underneath. Cook on max pressure for 8-10 minutes or high pressure for 11-12 minutes. Quick release. Set Instant Pot to saute function and melt butter. Cut potatoes in half and add back to the Instant Pot. Stir in salt and chives and smash (they should be really nice and soft, and easy to smash with just a spatula). Add sour cream and stir. Adjust seasonings.