This is one of those things you do…just to see if you can? I wanted a layered cake with a layer of cheesecake in the middle of 2 layers of lemon cake. And I wanted it all cooked in the Instant Pot. Having made cheesecake in the Instant Pot before, I can tell you it turns out FABULOUS.
But I started with a normal boxed cake (this was Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme) which I made according to the box directions, with the exception that I did add a teaspoon of baking powder. I had read online that cakes made in the Instant Pot are very dense, and I wanted to add a little rise power.
To make cake or cheesecake in the Instant Pot, you’re going to need one (or several) of the Fat Daddio’s pans. They fit perfectly in the Instant Pot, and I was juuuussst able to squeeze two in (barely) my Instant Pot Max.
Once the cake batter is made, add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the Instant Pot, and place the pans on the rack. I did wrap them completely in foil so they didn’t get wet on top.
Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and quick release. Allow to cool on racks and start your cheesecake!
For this application I wanted to make a cheesecake without the crust, but I wasn’t sure it would work. You’re going to want to follow this recipe. Amy & Jacky are the authority on this, I’m not even going to try!
For these cheesecakes, I don’t normally wrap the bottom, and they don’t usually have any problems with leaking through the bottom of the pan. This one, I did wrap the bottom in foil because I wasn’t sure if it would leak without the crust. It did leak just a bit so I’m glad I did.
There’s a piece of parchment in the bottom and one around the outside. I sprayed everything because without the crust I was very concerned about sticking to the bottom.
In the pan…
After cooking and cooling. I was concerned about not having a crust but it turned out PERFECT for what I was trying to make.
Then comes the fun part…
Set the bottom layer and add a nice thick layer of lemon curd.
Then your cheesecake layer and more lemon curd.
Then the top layer. You’ll notice that the cheesecake layer is just a bit bigger than the cake layers due to shrinkage during cooking. I’m not really sure how you would fix that, but in all honesty after the cake is frosted it wasn’t TOO obvious.
After adding a generous layer of cream cheese frosting.
The flavor and texture on this was absolutely amazing. Guests raved, and were totally shocked when I told them it was made entirely in the Instant Pot!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Cherry Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Goat Cheese, Apple and Honey Tart
- Classic Scones
- Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Sour Cream Ombre Cake
- Mini Desserts
Instant Pot Layered Cheesecake
- Instant Pot
- 1 box Duncan Hines mix prepared
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 full recipe Amy & Jacky's cheesecake number 17
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- cream cheese frosting
- Prepare one boxed cake mix as directed, but add 1 teaspoon baking powder. Split the batter between 2 seven inch pans and wrap pans with foil. Add 1/2 cup water to bottom of Instant Pot, and set rack in pot. Add cake pans and lid. Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes and quick release. Allow cake to cool on rack. Prepare cheesecake as per Amy & Jacky's cheesecake number 17, but omit the crust. Add parchment to bottom and sides of pan, and spray well with oil. Cook in Instant Pot, and allow to cool overnight. Layer one layer of cake, and top with lemon curd. Place cheesecake on top of lemon curd and add top layer. Frost with cream cheese frosting. Chill and serve.