Cooking potatoes whole in the Instant Pot makes for a very creamy potato texture, and is of course very fast!
One of the keys to getting a nice creamy texture is to expose the potatoes to as little water as possible. This is achieved easily by leaving the skins on while cooking under pressure.
I like to use Russet potatoes for mashed potatoes. I know some people like Yukon Gold, but I find the texture to be a little pasty.
Add the potatoes to a rack in the Instant Pot. I like to use this mesh basket. It’s very inexpensive and easy to tilt the handles up (just use a pair of pliers!) then you have an economical basket with handles. Add a cup of water to the bottom.
Cook for 14 minutes on high pressure and quick release. Check the potatoes for doneness by sticking a fork in them and add a couple more minutes if they’re not soft on the inside (it’s really dependent on how big you potatoes are).
I currently use the Instant Pot Max. I love the max pressure option and the automated quick release is SO convenient.
Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave.
When the potatoes are done cooking, rice them with a potato ricer. I use one similar to this. I read on a website that a potato ricer was a pain because you have to peel the potatoes. That is absolutely false and I promise you that you do not have to peel the potatoes. PROOF.
Mix the potatoes with the melted butter. Why? Surrounding the starch granules with sweetsweetfat molecules prevents the starches from absorbing water and keeping the potato texture silky.
Add sour cream, dried chives, and salt and mix. If you have fresh chives by all means do that, but I didn’t.
Add the shredded Parmesan. I have been buying the Sartori Parmesan wheel because this is some of the best Parmesan I have ever had, and buying it this way is very economical. Parmesan freezes beautifully.
Mix and microwave until the Parmesan is melted.
Place in a broiler safe pan.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- Potato Ricer
- 7 medium Russet potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 to 2 tsp salt
- Wash potatoes and add to Instant Pot on rack with 1 cup of water in the bowl. Cook on high pressure 14 minutes and quick release. Check potatoes for doneness with a fork. Add minutes until potatoes are cooked through. Melt butter in bowl and rice potatoes with the butter. Mix butter into the potatoes. Add sour cream, chives and salt and microwave for about a minute to warm. Add ¾ cup parmesan and microwave 1 to 2 minutes until parmesan is melted. Add potatos to a baking dish and add remaining Parmesan cheese to top of potatoes. Broil under low broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.