Wow there is a lot going on in this one! I *love* to make red sauce in my Instant Pot. It’s such a great way to get a sauce that tastes like it’s been cooked all day, but you started after a long work day.
I’m a big fan of these Sclafani tomatoes, and always keep them around. This makes it easy to throw together something after work.
I picked up some of these spicy Italian Sausages at Kettle Range Meat Co. They were gorgeous!
Add the sauce ingredients to the Instant Pot. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max, which I love for the max pressure and the automated release. I just chuck everything in there whole. I add the stock cubes for texture, the Maggi Beef Base for the sodium and Umami, and the vegetables to hide the vegetables from my kids!
Cook on max for 40 minutes or high for 45 minutes. At the start you may have to give it a stir a couple of times due to the high temp/burn food warning (as the liquid comes up to temp the bottom stays hot). You can prevent this by warming it up first on the saute function, but I usually don’t bother. I actually find that the dark browned sauce on the bottom contributes to the flavor.
After quick release, puree with an immersion blender. I use the Breville immersion blender, it’s super powerful. You can also pour it into a blender but to me that is a complete pain and potentially dangerous. Once you get an immersion blender, you won’t go without it.
I added the sausages and cooked on max pressure for one minute with a quick release. If you were doing high pressure you might go 2 minutes.
Cooking the sausages this way does leave a bit of fat in the sauce. However it was delicious and it’s easier this way. If you prefer not to do that, the sausages can be cooked in a separate pan.
Add 1 pound Cellantini, two cans Giorgio mushrooms (with liquid) and 2 cups of water. Cook for 3 minutes on max pressure or 4 minutes on high pressure, and quick release. If the pasta is not done to your liking, give it another minute or 2 until it is.
I added sliced orange peppers, but that is totally optional, and the Italian sausages, sliced (not optional in my mind). Then just heated through for a minute.
And served with some fresh chopped basil and shredded Parmesan cheese.
The sauce is very bright and flavorful, and cooking the pasta this way makes them taste amazing. I served them with Sourdough Garlic Breadsticks.
Instant Pot Red Sauce With Italian Sausage
- Instant Pot
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 2 carrots scraped and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 pound Cellantini pasta or whichever pasta you prefer
- 2 4 ounce cans sliced mushrooms with liquid
- 2 cups water
- 5 mini orange peppers diced optional
- Add sauce ingredients to Instant pot and cook on max pressure 40 minutes or high pressure 45 minutes. Quick release. Puree ingredients using immersion blender or regular blender. Add Italian sausages to sauce and the instant pot to max pressure for 1 minute or high pressure for 2. Quick release. Remove the sausages to another dish, and add Cellantini, mushrooms, and water. Cook on Max pressure for 3 minutes or high pressure for 4. Quick release and check for pasta doneness. Add minutes if pasta is too firm. Add peppers and sausage and heat on sauté until the entire mix is hot.