We love meatloaf in our family! And cooking it in the Instant Pot makes the most tender juicy meatloaf (plus it’s super easy!) I made this one with a nacho cheese sauce because nacho cheese rocks, hello.
I really wanted a distinct flavor for this one, so for the binder I used corn meal (Masa Harina, specifically). I also added dried Jalapeno peppers and dried bell peppers. I like using dried vegetables in meatloaf because it’s convenient, inexpensive, and really adds a depth of flavor without contributing excess moisture. The Watkins Beef Base is added to increase the umami and as a replacement for salt.
I considered adding cheese, but I wasn’t sure that you’d get a nice cheesy flavor, and was worried that it would just blend into the meat.
Onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and ground oregano.
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl…
And moosh around. You can omit the cilantro if you’re one of those people who think it tastes like soap (genetics is so interesting!)
Add all the ingredients to your Fat Daddio’s pan. If you don’t have one of these, GET ONE. They fit perfectly in the Instant Pot, and are SO useful. I have two at this point so I can make a 2 layered cake.
Add to the Instant Pot. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max, which I love due to the Max pressure and the automated release system. I like to use the mesh basket with the Fat Daddio’s pans, because it sits at a perfect level. Add a cup of water, and cook on max pressure for 45 minutes, or high pressure for 50. Set to quick release.
Meanwhile, make some nacho cheese sauce!
I made mine a little on the thin side because I wanted the sauce to sink into the nooks and crannies of the meatloaf.
Make a basic bechamel starting with a roux, and add cheese. After the cheese is melted, add a drained can of Rotel. Season to your liking (I added chili powder and cayenne pepper to make it spicy!)
After the cooking is done, temp the meatloaf. It should read at least 165 Fahrenheit at the center.
I then broiled for about 4 minutes on high, watching carefully, to get a bit of browning on the top.
Then serve with the nacho cheese sauce, Cholula, cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Everyone in the family loved this and I believe the original meal and leftovers were eaten more quickly than I have ever seen.
Instant Pot Southwest Meatloaf
- Instant Pot
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup masa
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 4 ounce can chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 14 ounce can corn drained
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons Watkins beef base
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3 tablespoons dried chopped red and green pepper
- ½ tablespoon dried jalapeno peppers
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheese
- 12 ounce can Rotel
For the meatloaf
- Combine meatloaf ingredients and place in 7 inch springform or cheesecake pan. Cook in Instant Pot with 1 cup water in bottom of pan (cheesecake pan elevated via rack or mesh basket) for 45 minutes on max pressure or 50 on high. Quick release and check temperature. Center should read 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Extend cook time if necessary. Broil under high broiler 4 minutes or until top is crispy.
For nacho cheese
- Melt butter in pan, add flour and cook for a minute to reduce floury taste. Add milk and cook until thickened. Add cheese and melt. Add drained Rotel and cook until heated through. If you wish to have a thicker sauce, increase the amount of flour or the amount of cheese.