This is a fast weeknight meal that comes together very quickly using a pressure cooker. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can use a slow cooker as well…of course that would require planning ahead. The total time for this is about an hour and a half but 45 minutes of that is in the pressure cooker.
Start with a beef roast. I like to use one with some fat on it but generally just buy whatever is on sale at the time. I will typically cut across the grain in 2 inch sections so that when the beef is cooked it shreds into about 2 inch sections.
Add sliced meat, 2 cans of beer of your choice (I prefer a lighter American style lager for this recipe), 1 T. each onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning, 1 t. crushed red pepper and black pepper. If I have some fresh garlic cloves handy I’ll throw some in as well. 1 to 2 T. of beef base (I add 1 when I’m cooking then adjust at the end for saltiness of the juice. I’m currently using Maggi Beef Base)
Here it all is. I know it looks pretty awful at this point.
Here it is after the magic of pressure cooking for about 45 minutes over medium-low heat. When I cook this I make sure it’s under pressure but the weight isn’t “dancing” too fast because I’m not trying to drive off liquid and I definitely don’t want to scorch the meat. You know the beef is done when it pulls apart. If it’s not pulling apart, it needs more time. My current pressure cooker is the Instant Pot Max. I love the super high pressure and the automated release is so convenient when you’re multitasking.
Shred the beef with a fork
I use hard rolls I get at the grocery but this can also be long hoagie buns.
Top with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and the rolls are soft.
We serve with horseradish sauce and pickled banana peppers.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Instant Pot
- 2-3 pound beef roast
- 2 12 ounce cans of beer of your choice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- 3 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons beef base
- Slice meat across grain in 1 to 2 inch thick slices. Add to Instant Pot with remaining ingredients and cook on Max pressure 35 minutes or high pressure 45 minutes. Quick release. If the meat isn't falling apart, cook at 5 minute intervals until it does (or you can just set it for 50 minutes. It's hard to overcook in the Instant Pot).