This is so easy and the flavors are an umami bomb.
I read about the gochujang on Two Sleevers and thought oh gosh I have to try this. So I did what I do and clicked on the link and ordered it. As soon as I got it, I opened the bucket and tasted. The flavor is so good…slightly sweet, pretty spicy, lots of umami.
I wanted to blend it with something sweet so I added Sweet Chili Sauce and a little bit of seasoned rice vinegar to add just a bit of tang. I had been reading for quite a while about the wonders of Kewpie Mayonnaise and how much flavor it adds to dishes and the huge pow of umami it gives, so I went ahead and added some of that.
Mix together 1/3 cup each of the Kewpie mayonnaise and chili sauce. Add 3 tablespoons gochujang and 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar.
Reserve 1/4 cup of the sauce for dipping and add the shrimp to the sauce (about 2 pounds). I got the shrimp off the back of a truck from Fabian Seafood. I kid but it truly is off the back of a truck, and their shrimp is so fresh and incredible. If you live in the midwest, get on their mailing list and they’ll send you a postcard. It’s a fantastic little operation.
Let the shrimp marinate for about an hour.
And grill for just a few minutes until done. These were outstanding!! My husband made another recipe (there was a pound of shrimp left) but everybody ate these (even my husband).
I also cooked some broccoli in a pan using the sauce that I had marinated the shrimp in and that was fantastic as well! The kids loved it (which is saying A LOT about that sauce!)
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU’LL ALSO LIKE:
- Philips Pasta Maker Cheesy Crab Ravioli
- Supper Club Lobster Macaroni and Cheese
- Philips Pasta Maker Squid Ink Pasta
- Philips Pasta Maker Shrimp and Scallop Scampi
- Nana’s Sauce
Kewpie Chili Shrimp
- 2 pounds shrimp de-veined and peeled
- 1/3 cup Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoons gochujang
- 4 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- Mix sauce ingredients. Retain 1/4 cup for dipping after shrimp is cooked. Marinate shrimp in the remaining sauce for about an hour. Skewer shrimp and grill lightly. Serve with dipping sauce.