This is the most incredible dressing. The recipe is from my grandmother’s 1960s McCall’s cookbook, and it’s a true classic. It’s delicious on cottage cheese, or spinach and strawberry salad, or just by the spoonful out of the jar. Just kidding. Maybe. The only change I have made is to use whole onion (the original calls for “onion juice” and believe it or not you can actually buy that in a bottle…who knew??) but I figure popping onion into the food processor is preeeetttty much going to turn it into…onion juice.
I make this in the food processor but it can also be made in a blender (anything you can stream the oil into).
Add 3/4 C sugar, 1/3 C apple cider vinegar, about 4 T onion, 1 t. dry mustard powder, 1 t salt to the bowl of a food processor or your blender and blend well (until everything is liquefied).
Drizzle 1 C oil in slowly as the dressing emulsifies. This can be any kind of light salad oil. I like the Hollywood oil for the health benefits and the lack of flavor. Add 1 1/2 T poppy seeds. Chill for at least one hour.
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/3 C apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoon sized piece of onion
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Add all ingredients except oil and poppy seeds to the bowl of a food processor or your blender and blend well (until everything is liquefied). Drizzle in oil until emulsified. Add poppy seeds. Chill for at least one hour.