This is the most incredible dressing. The recipe is from my grandmother’s 1960s McCall’s cookbook, and it’s a true classic. It’s delicious on cottage cheese, or spinach and strawberry salad, or just by the spoonful out of the jar. Just kidding. Maybe. The only change I have made is to use whole onion (the original calls for “onion juice” and believe it or not you can actually buy that in a bottle…who knew??) but I figure popping onion into the food processor is preeeetttty much going to turn it into…onion juice.
I make this in the food processor but it can also be made in a blender (anything you can stream the oil into).
Add 3/4 C sugar, 1/3 C apple cider vinegar, about 4 T onion, 1 t. dry mustard powder, 1 t salt to the bowl of a food processor or your blender and blend well (until everything is liquefied).
Drizzle 1 C oil in slowly as the dressing emulsifies. This can be any kind of light salad oil. I like the Hollywood oil for the health benefits and the lack of flavor. Add 1 1/2 T poppy seeds. Chill for at least one hour.
Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/3 C apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoon sized piece of onion
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Add all ingredients except oil and poppy seeds to the bowl of a food processor or your blender and blend well (until everything is liquefied). Drizzle in oil until emulsified. Add poppy seeds. Chill for at least one hour.
If you like this recipe you will also like:
- Doe’s House Salad
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Smoked Paprika Salad Dressing
- Goat Cheese and Beet Salad With Candied Pecans
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing