Very easy in the Instant Pot!
This is just solid comfort food. The blocks in the middle are bone broth stock cubes.
Onion powder, black pepper, and thyme.
When rotisserie chickens are on sale I usually buy one or 2 extra, for the meat and to make stock to use in other recipes. Because you’re cooking in the Instant Pot, you can also use raw diced chicken breast or thighs. You probably want to cook those for a minute longer than the veggies in the next step (in the liquid, 2 cups). Undercooked chicken is yuck town.
Add chicken, carrots, stock cubes, onions, chicken base, and spices to Instant Pot. Cook on Max pressure for 5 minutes or high pressure for 6 minutes. Use the quick release after.
I am currently using the Instant Pot Max, which I love for the max pressure, the flexibility of being able to set specific temperatures with the Sous Vide function, and the automated venting (so useful when you’re multi-tasking!)
While it’s cooking, make a quick roux base with butter and flour. Cook for a minute on medium heat to remove the floury flavor.
After cooking on Max for 5 minutes. The carrots are tender.
Add some of the hot liquid from the Instant pot to the roux base and whisk…
to remove lumps.
Add the roux back to the instant pot.
And add frozen peas, celery, and heavy whipping cream. I like my celery to have a bit of crunch still, if you do not you can add them earlier. At this point, I set the Instant Pot to high slow cook and allowed everything to heat through and the roux to thicken the gravy. If you’re in a hurry (I was not) you can just bring up to a boil using the saute function and cook until it’s heated through and thickened slightly.
These sourdough biscuits are perfect for this recipe. The use of baking powder in the dough makes them very soft and good to soak up the gravy.
The family really enjoyed this! You’ll notice my sauce (well really a gravy) isn’t super thick. I prefer it that way because it soaks into the biscuits, which I like. However if you prefer a thicker gravy, by all means double the roux portion and it will be much thicker.
Instant Pot Chicken and Biscuits
- 1 rotisserie chicken meat removed and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 1 ½ cups diced celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 5 stock cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Add water, stock cubes, chicken, chicken base, onion, spices, and carrots to Instant Pot. Cook on Max 5 minutes or high 6 minutes, until carrots are just tender. Quick release Instant Pot. In separate pot, melt butter. Add flour and cook for a minute over medium heat to form a roux base. Add about 1 cup of liquid into the roux base and whisk to remove lumps. Pour roux back into Instant Pot. Add peas, celery, and heavy whipping cream. Cook on high slow cook until heated through (or you’re ready for dinner). Serve over biscuits.