This is an easy, flavorful soup to eat on a cold winter day!
Simple ingredients. Using beer instead of water does add flavor, but you can also start with water.
Onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of MSG (optional but does add to the umami)
Roughly cut 1 large or 2 small potatoes and add to the Instant Pot with 24 ounces of beer or water, chicken base, and spices. I use Maggi chicken base.
My current Instant Pot is the Max.
I love the Instant Pot Max because of the Max temperature feature, the fact that it has adjustable temperature control with the sous vide feature, and the automatic venting options are super useful.
Cook on max pressure for 8 minutes, or high pressure for 9. Use the quick release method.
Meantime, make a quick roux base with 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup flour. This potato soup is not super thick. If you prefer yours thicker, you can either double the roux base, or use more potato to thicken the base.
After the quick release, immersion blend (or put in a blender) to puree what is in the pot. My current immersion blender is the Breville, which I love due to how powerful it is and the multiple settings.
Dice 2 cups of potato and a medium onion to the size you prefer. Add the potato and onion to the pot with 2 frozen bone broth cubes. Cook on Max pressure for 1 minute or high pressure for 2 minutes, then quick release.
The potatoes should be soft at this point, but if not cook until softened. Add heavy whipping cream and cheese and stir until melted. Adjust seasoning to taste.
We garnished with a bit of cheese, bacon and green onions.
Instant Pot Beer Potato Cheese Soup
- 24 ounces beer or water
- 3 cups cubed potatoes separated
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 large frozen stock cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut up one large potato into large chunks and add to Instant Pot with beer, chicken base, and spices. Cook on max pressure for 8 minutes or high pressure for 9, until the potatoes are fully cooked. Quick release when finished. While potatoes are cooking, make a roux base with 2 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup flour, cooking for a minute on medium to remove floury taste. When the Instant Pot quick release is finished, add roux base to beer and potatoes, and immersion blend to puree. Add stock cubes, remaining 2 cups of diced potatoes, and onions to the Instant Pot. Cook on max pressure for 1 minute or high pressure for 2 minutes and quick release. Potatoes should be tender at this point. Add cheese and whipping cream and mix until melted