I *love* Pasta Puttanesca (probably because I’m lazy and the recipe was supposedly made up by lazy ladies of the evening as something they could throw together between customers. I cannot vouch for the veracity of this story, but I like it, so I’m sticking with it). This is less of a traditional Puttanesca but I had to call it something and since it has several key ingredients of that dish, I decided to go with it.
What makes this so fabulous is that there are several key ingredients that *really* increase the umami of the sauce, making it incredibly rich and flavorful.
Key Ingredients that contribute to umami flavor:
- Tomatoes (obviously). I like to buy the Sclafani and keep them on hand to throw together dinner on any given night without running to the grocery store.
- Giorgio canned mushrooms, again something I always keep on hand.
- Reese Anchovies I also buy these in bulk to keep on hand.
- Minor’s Beef Base
- Byzantine Olive Mix
- Onion powder
- Wine Flour
So you can see this is a little umami bomb!
Add tomato sauce, onion, carrots, garlic, anchovies, beef base, seasonings, wine flour, and bone broth cubes to Instant Pot. The bone broth cubes are optional but add a delightful velvety texture to the sauce as well as having a huge amount of collagen (great for hair, skin and nails as well as joint health!)
I’m currently using the Instant Pot Duo 8 quart with the Air fry lid (love having the option to brown/broil right after performing the pressure cook portion and having one pot to cook it all in!)
Cook on high pressure for 8 minute and quick release. Immersion blend the contents. My current immersion blender is the Breville and it’s by far the best one I’ve ever owned (and I’ve owned a ton of them…for making soap! But that’s a different topic!)
Add the Cellantani, water, chicken, mushrooms, and olives to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure 4 minutes, then quick release.
Check pasta and chicken for doneness. Mine were done after 4 minutes but you may like your pasta more done. If so add a minute under high pressure and quick release to check for doneness.
Once pasta is done to your liking, add Parmesan cheese to the top and air fry at 400 degrees for 4 minutes until the cheese melts. Alternately, you can slow cook on high for about 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese is melted.
I served this with a piece of homemade overnight Italian bread and it was a huge hit with the whole family (even the boy, who insists he does not like red sauce!)
If you like this recipe you will also like:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Chicken Puttanesca
- Instant Pot
- 16 ounces cellentani pasta
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 large chicken breasts diced
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 2 ounce can anchovies with oil
- ¼ cup wine flour
- 1 tablespoon Minor’s beef base
- 1 4 ounce can mushrooms drained
- 3 bone broth cubes
- 1 cup water
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- Add tomatoes, onion, carrots, stock cubes, spices, wine powder, garlic cloves, anchovies with oil, and beef base to Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes and quick release. Immersion blend (or put in blender) sauce. Add pasta, water, chicken, mushrooms and olives to Instant pot and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release and check pasta and chicken for done-ness. If it needs more time add a minute and check again. Once pasta is done to your liking, add Parmesan cheese to the top and air fry at 400 degrees for 4 minutes until the cheese melts. Alternately, you can slow cook on high for about 10 to 12 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Leave a Reply