I had to Google the history Stroganoff because it feels like one of those dishes created in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s that was actually invented in America but given an ethnic name to make it sound legit (I’m looking at you, General Tso’s Chicken). But I was surprised to find that it does have some origins in Russia, having been invented there in the mid-19th century.
This is another one where the Instant Pot makes it a snap! I love Beef Stroganoff, but I have to tell you this chicken…I’m not sure which one I like more!
- Barilla Cellentani: this is my go to noodle for the Instant Pot. It holds up so well and cooks perfectly every time.
- Maggi Chicken Base: I’m never without a good chicken and beef base in the refrigerator. Adds a deep, rich chicken flavor
- Mushrooms and A LOT OF THEM
- Onion powder and garlic powder for added umami
- Sour cream and heavy cream. Just a bit added after the pressure cook adds a really nice creaminess without as many calories as traditional Stroganoff
Add the mushrooms, chicken base, onion powder and 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. I’m currently using the Instant Pot Duo With Air Fry Lid and it’s my favorite Instant Pot yet! Cook the mushrooms for 8 minutes on high pressure, and quick release.
Add the pasta, water, and chicken. Cook on high pressure 4 minutes and quick release.
If the pasta is done to your liking, add the sour cream and heavy cream. If not, cook the noodles for a minute more and quick release. Adjust seasoning with chicken base and pepper if needed.
This is seriously one of the fastest, most hands-off dinners out there but it still has an amazing flavor!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy
- Instant Pot Triple Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Johnny Marzetti
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Chicken Tetrazzini
Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- Instant Pot
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 24 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 16 ounces pasta
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 ½ cups water divided
- Add mushrooms, 1 cup water, chicken base, and onion and garlic powder to Instant Pot. Cook 8 minutes on high pressure and quick release. Add pasta and chicken on top. Cook 4 minutes and quick release. Check pasta for doneness and cook 1 minute more if needed. Add sour cream, whipping cream, and black pepper and adjust seasoning as needed with chicken base.