What a colorful dish, both in the history of its invention and also…well it’s just colorful. Supposedly invented by prostitutes due to being able to cook quickly between clients, because it’s mostly being made up of canned ingredients.
There is another version of the story of how it’s invented, however I prefer the lazy slut version, made even easier because most of the ingredients were delivered by Amazon, and I used the Instant pot to make it even faster. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max and I LOVE IT. (affiliate link)
The ingredients are pretty flexible. I used these colored cherry/grape tomatoes because they were on “last chance” discount, and I added some of the little peppers because they were getting ready to go bad. The finely ground Parmesan is used solely to flavor the sauce. You could easily substitute with a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes.
1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon fennel.
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
Cherry and grape tomatoes.
Add box or can of tomatoes to the instant pot with 1 medium onion diced (it can be chunky style, this is getting ground up), Parmesan, anchovies, half the cherry tomatoes, 6 cloves of garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon dried pepper flakes.
Cook on low pressure for 30 minutes.
In a food processor, roughly chop several colored peppers and the remainder of the tomatoes. Just a couple of pulses.
Add the Kalamata olives and give another couple of pulses.
Until the mix is the desired texture.
After the instant pot is finished, blend the contents. I use an immersion blender, but you could use a regular blender or a food processor as well.
Add your chopped veggies and drained can of mushrooms, and the Italian spices. Cook on low pressure for about 2 minutes (mine did do a temperature fault, but I just turned it off and left it under pressure for several minutes.
And serve with pasta and maybe a sprinkling of cheese if you’re feeling fancy.
- Instant Pot
- 14 ounce can or box tomatoes
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 lb cherry and grape tomatoes or 14 oz can diced
- 4 small red and orange peppers or 1/2 green pepper
- 2 oz can anchovies, drained
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan
- 6 or 7 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 oz can mushrooms drained
- 1 lb Angel hair pasta
- Add canned/boxed tomatoes, garlic cloves, anchovies, half the cherry/grape tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, spices (except Italian seasonings) and diced onion to the Instant pot. Cook on low pressure for 30 minutes. Puree contents. Food process remaining cherry/grape tomatoes, colored peppers, and Kalamata olives until the desired size. Add to the pureed sauce, with drained mushrooms and Italian seasoning, and cook until peppers and tomatoes are cooked through. Serve with cooked Angel Hair pasta or spaghetti.