I love those pictures of the individual potatoes that are cooked this way but I’m *way* too lazy to slice a potato like that and stick a piece of butter or cheese in the middle of each slice. Too painful. So I have poked around to find a similar way to cook the potatoes but make it easier.
Start by washing and slicing your potatoes. This is where a mandoline slicer really comes in handy for making the perfect slice. Lately I’m more inclined to use the Breville Sous Chef for these types of cuts because the adjustable slicing blade is so amazing.
Combine 1 1/2 C. heavy cream, 2 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, a dash of nutmeg, and cheese. I used about 4-5 oz of shredded swiss but this recipe is great with Gruyere or any other semi-mild white cheese (is that even a thing?). Some good parmesan is amazing as well!
Put the potato slices in the mixture and moosh them around really good. I usually put a few in at a time until they’re all in. You want to make sure all sides of the potato have been touched by the ooey gooey fatty mixture.
Add the potatoes to a casserole dish as below…like you’re putting delicious little books in a bookshelf. Then pour the remaining liquid/cheese over the top of the potatoes.
Bake covered at 350 for 35 minutes, covered in foil. Then remove foil and cook for another 35 minutes or until done to your liking. If they’re not brown enough, turn on the broiler (watching VERY CLOSELY. Ask me how I know…) for a minute or 2.
And there you go. Delicious.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Doe’s House Salad
- Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
- Smoked Paprika Salad Dressing
- Spinach Salad With Hot Bacon Dressing
- Spinach and Strawberry Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing
- Kewpie Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Hasselback Potatoes Au Gratin
- 4 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 C. heavy cream
- 2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- dash of nutmeg
- 5 ounces Parmesan cheese shredded
- Slice potatoes thinly. Combine heavy cream and spices. Dip potato slices into cream mixture and arrange in pan vertically (see pictures). Bake at 300 for 45 minutes to an hour until potatoes are cooked through. Add Parmesan and broil for a minute until browned.
Leave a Reply