We used to go to this Mexican restaurant in Milwaukee, La Fuente (sadly they are no longer in business) that had the most amazing soup, Caldo de Cameron.
It’s a relatively simple recipe. I looked at quite a few recipes but the liquid all seemed thicker than theirs was, with more body. I liked that theirs was light and slightly thin.
I started off with several stock cubes and a batch of lobster/shrimp stock made similarly to how I make the base for Lobster bisque. That’s about 2 cups of stock. I added dried ancho chilis, some cumin, garlic cloves, Better Than Bullion Lobster Base, half cup of orange juice, and onion powder.
I then added the shrimp and left the shrimp in for just a minute until cooked (that did not take very long!). To serve I added lime juice, fresh avocados, and diced cilantro, onions and jalapeno. Not cooking the onions and jalapeno adds a really nice crunch and flavor to the soup.
This was a quick and light but satisfying soup!
The shrimp is amazing, I got it from Fabian’s Seafood. If they swing into your town, I highly recommend them!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Florentine Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Healthier Cream of Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Santa Fe Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Beer Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Beer Potato Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Bisque
Instant Pot Caldo de Cameron
- 1 batch shrimp and lobster stock about 2 cups
- 2 stock cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bullion Lobster Base
- 3 ancho chilis dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 pound shrimp, raw
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 4 tablespoons finely diced jalapeno
- 1/2 cup diced cilantro
- 1 avocado diced
- Add chilis, stock cubes, lobster/shrimp base, Lobster Better than Bullion, spices, orange juice and water to Instant Pot. Cook on max pressure for 20 minute or high pressure for 25. Quick release and blend stock. Add shrimp and allow to heat through. Serve with garnish of cilantro, avocado, jalapenos and onions and add lime juice to taste.