Making beans in the Instant Pot is so easy, and it’s a great foundation for soups. This soup has a surprise thickening ingredient that also adds flavor (and makes the dish gluten-free).
You want to start with 8 ounces of Black Beans. I did the quick-soak method for these. I put them in water in a large bowl (plenty of water more than enough to cover) and microwaved until boiling. I then allowed them to sit for an hour, then drained and rinsed.
A blend of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne and black pepper. Also…cilantro (if you’re one of those who doesn’t think cilantro tastes like soap! If you do, omit it!)
I had a mix of orange and red peppers, which I used with some diced Jalapeno peppers. About 3/4 cup total.
Add your beans and spices to the Instant Pot. I am currently using the Instant Pot Max and I love it so much. The max pressure is awesome, as is the automated venting. So convenient.
Also add 3 cubes of chicken bone broth. This adds flavor and texture to the final soup.
Add 24 ounces of beer. I used Sol, which seemed fitting!
Cook the beans on max pressure for 25 minutes or high pressure for 30 minutes then quick release. If the beans aren’t done to your liking you can cook them longer but there will be more pressure so they will get slightly more cooked throughout the process.
Add a can of drained petite diced tomatoes (drained slightly), about a cup of diced onions and about 2 cups of diced chicken. For this I used a rotisserie chicken diced up but you could do chicken breasts or thighs also. If you do them raw (perfectly ok) you would want to add them earlier in the process and pressure for maybe an extra 4 minutes.
Cook on max pressure for 8 minutes or high pressure for 10. Quick release.
Add the juice of a whole lime and a quarter cup of diced cilantro.
Add 8 ounces of cheese. I used Velveeta because it melts nicely and gives a good flavor in this soup. You could also use cheddar or Monteray Jack. Add a drained can of corn. Heat until cheese is melted. I set it on “high” slow cook and left it for about an hour because I wasn’t in a hurry and was working on some other things. If you were in a hurry to get dinner on the table you could cook on the saute function until the cheese is melted.
I served with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream, Cholula and a lime.
Instant Pot Santa Fe Soup
- Instant Pot
- 8 ounces black beans
- 24 ounces beer
- 3 bone broth cubes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- ¾ cups diced bell or jalapeno peppers
- 14 ounce can corn drained
- 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 8 ounces Velveeta or cheddar shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro diced
- 1 lime juiced
- Quick soak the beans:
- Add water to beans (more than enough to cover). Cook in microwave until boiling (about 6-8 minutes). Allow beans to sit for one hour, then drain and rinse.
- Make the soup:
- Add dried spices, bone broth cubes, beans and beer to the Instant Pot. Cook on max pressure for 25 minutes or high pressure for 30. Quick release. Add corn meal, tomatoes, onion, chicken base, and chicken. Cook on max pressure for 8 minutes or high pressure for 10. Quick release. Add cheese, lime juice, and cilantro and cook until cheese is melted. Adjust seasoning to taste.