I *love love love* thickening soups with cauliflower. If you have not tried it yet, it’s such a great way to lighten up the calories in soups (AND hide veggies from the kids!)
I wanted a very simple creamy, chicken-y soup.
Very simple ingredients on this one: the meat cut off of a rotisserie chicken (use the rest of the carcass to make your stock cubes), a large head of cauliflower, a little bit of heavy whipping cream, black pepper, and some Minor’s chicken base. This can easily be made gluten free by using gluten free base.
Rough cut 1 large head of cauliflower. I personally use pretty much all of it but the leaves (and I’m guessing it wouldn’t make too much difference if you used those too). Add 2 cups water and 2 stock cubes. If you do not have stock cubes you can use low sodium chicken broth in place of the water.
I always start with a lower amount of water because cauliflower contains A LOT of water. After blending, I will then adjust the thickness to my desired consistency adding more water. It’s a lot harder getting rid of the water if you started with too much!
Cook in the Instant Pot on max pressure for 13 minutes, or high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick release. It should look like the above picture.
I am currently using the Instant Pot Max and I LOVE it. The max pressure feature, and the automated release feature are such a bonus.
After cooking, blend the cauliflower. You could do this with a standalone blendor or food processor, but moving hot soup from one place to the other does not appeal to me.
I use a Breville Immersion Blender to take care of this. If you’ve never used an immersion blender, they’re amazing. I use for SO many things. This is like the 5th one I’ve owned and it’s super powerful, and I haven’t managed to break it yet (unlike the others).
Adjust the thickness to your desired consistency by adding water.
Add 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, and black pepper and chicken base to taste (how much you add is going to depend on whether you used chicken stock or the stock cubes. I typically start with a tablespoon).
Mix and add your chopped up rotisserie chicken.
This was so good my eight year old ate about 2 cups of it (and I even TOLD her it was made with veggies!). Actually the whole family really enjoyed it considerably, particularly given how simple it is.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Florentine Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Caldo de Cameron (Shrimp) Soup
- Instant Pot Santa Fe Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Beer Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Beer Potato Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Bisque
Healthier Instant Pot Cream of Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 rotisserie chicken meat removed and chopped
- 2 stock cubes
- 1 large head cauliflower rough chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chicken base to taste
- Add cauliflower to Instant Pot with 2 cups water and 2 stock cubes. Cook on max pressure 13 minutes or high pressure for 15 minutes and quick release. If the cauliflower is cooked through, blend the water and cauliflower. Add water to adjust to your desired thickness. Add cream, pepper, chicken base and stir. Add chicken and heat through. Adjust seasoning.
Leave a Reply