So this started as an accident. I ordered what I thought was unsweetened coconut flakes, but got sweet. I like the combination of sweet and salty so I decided to go with it.
I got the shrimp from Great Alaska Seafood and I highly recommend them, they are really awesome shrimp. Save the shells! They make great shellfish stock!
Combine the beer, half the flour, egg, baking powder and spices (onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt). Dredge the shrimp in flour, then the beer batter, then the coconut. The coconut lumps up pretty good, I found the best way to do it was to just sprinkle the coconut over the shrimp.
Refrigerate the shrimp for an hour or two with the batter on, this helps it to adhere well when frying.
Meanwhile make your sauce.
Orange marmalade, horseradish and spicy brown mustard.
Preheat your oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I like to fry in duck fat for the flavor, which is amazing.
Fry the shrimp for 3-5 minutes until they’re a beautiful brown.
And serve with your dipping sauce. I also served with some Old Bay hot sauce. You’ll really enjoy this sweet-spicy treat!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE…
- Crab Cakes With Remoulade
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Friday Fish Fry
- Crawfish Po’ Boy
- Chicken And Waffles
- Chicken Fried Chicken
Beer battered spicy sweet coconut shrimp with marmalade sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour divided
- ⅔ cup beer
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups oil for frying
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Combine beer, egg, ½ cup flour, baking powder, and spices and stir together. Set up the other half cup flour in first bowl, beer mix in second bowl, and sweetened shrimp in the last bowl. Dredge cleaned shrimp in flour, then beer batter, then coconut (I really just sprinkled the coconut on top). Chill refrigerated for at least an hour, two would probably be fine too. Deep fry in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oil for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine ingredients and stir well.
Leave a Reply