I found short ribs on sale and wasn’t completely sure what to do with them (never having bought this exact cut) but these turned out AMAZING.
A sweet and sour spicy sauce was the perfect compliment. Brown sugar, dried red peppers, good soy sauce, five spice powder, garlic, oyster sauce, ketchup, rice vinegar, ginger, sesame seed oil and plum jam. Granted, it’s a lot of ingredients but amazing.
And some of my favorite ingredients from Asian cooking.
I know ketchup seems odd, but I was reading that some very authentic (American) Asian restaurants do use it in their sauces. Regardless, I wasn’t going for *true* authenticity here. Just something tasty! I love fresh ginger SO MUCH. I suppose you could use powdered but fresh is so amazing.
I had my husband smoke the ribs for about an hour set to low…I just wanted some flavor on them. We use the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (he says it’s the best Father’s day gift ever. I have a habit of buying him gifts that are self-serving!) We love this because it just takes all the hard work out of smoking meats, so it doesn’t become a full-time job (we both have one of those already!) These were just lightly smoked for a bit of extra flavor. They could also be smoked on a grill (offset with some wood chips) or if your’e really in a rush, just add a bit of liquid smoke to the sauce.
After they were smoked, I sliced into individual ribs, and gave them a quick sear in the Instant Pot Max (my current Instant Pot, it’s extremely versatile). Just enough to get them some color.
And after searing (not the clearest picture! they were steamy!) The smell at this point was *amazing*. A nonstick pot makes searing very easy to clean up after.
Placed one cup of water in the bottom and added the ribs to the basket. I pressure cooked on high for 20 minutes until just about falling off the bone but with still enough bite. I use this strainer, it was the least expensive one I could find on Amazon, and was very easy to tilt up the handles with pliers so it would fit.
After pressure cooking.
Drain the water and place back into Instant pot on saute function.
Added the sauce and heated through.
Really amazing flavor given how quickly they were finished!
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE YOU WILL ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Florentine Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Healthier Cream of Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Caldo de Cameron (Shrimp) Soup
- Instant Pot Santa Fe Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Beer Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Beer Potato Cheese Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Bisque
Instant Pot Asian Shortribs
- 2 racks of short ribs
For the sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce I used the good kind for this
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons plum jam
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce you could use fish sauce as well
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ to 1 teaspoon five-spice powder to taste
- Smoke ribs for short period of time, or add 1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke to the sauce. Slice ribs into 1 or two pieces and sear on either side in the Instant Pot. Place the ribs into rackInstant Pot with 1 cup water below. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Drain water and place into instant pot set to saute. Mix sauce ingredients and pour over, heating through. Serve with green onions as garnish.
Leave a Reply